Junior Software Developer Summer student
We are looking for a driven individual to join Water Rangers for the Summer and help the development team by working on our mobile and web apps.
- Work in an Agile development team with senior developers and designers
- Contribute to the development of our mobile app (iOS & Android) for collecting data in the field.
- Develop custom features that help our users submit citizen science data
- Build map layers so that users can better understand water quality in their region
- Develop API hooks for integration to our partners data and protocols.
- Contribute to open data access through data imports and export tools.
- Build analytic dashboards for Groups so that they can understand their impact.
- Understanding of all aspects of the software development life cycle (e.g. requirements, analysis, design, implementation, testing, and documentation)
- Experience with Web Development (preferably Ruby on Rails, React Native)
- Knowledge of Git and GitHub
- Excited to take on projects that force you beyond your current skill-set
Our team works together through multiple integrations on Slack, an online communication tool. We use Trello for task management and bug testing, and Github for source control.
You can see our web app here (built in Ruby-on-Rails): https://app.waterrangers.ca
Our iOS app (built in React Native): https://itunes.apple.com/ph/app/water-rangers/id1212577408?mt=8
The first week will include simple tasks to introduce the student to our system. Each Monday, our team meets together, lead by our Executive Director, to discuss priorities and feedback on progress for the previous week. Throughout the week, we communicate multiple times per day through Slack. All code is reviewed and tested by our development team before it is released. We work quickly, and you will learn a lot! We will work both remotely and at Hub Ottawa, a co-working space. The developer will report directly to our lead developer.
We are looking for a candidate in technology, STEM, and Information and communications technology, specifically in web development. The technology you will be learning uses best-practices in current and popular platforms that will help you get relevant work experience. You should have existing projects, and their background should be in a related field. Since we’re a small team, you will get to work on complex and interesting features, and learn about the whole development process.
Position: 8-12 weeks (Mid May – End August)
Hours: 32 hours a week
Compensation: $21 per hour
Conditions: You must be a current student, intending to return to school in September, a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or legally able to work in Canada, and between 15 and 30 years old.
Sound like something you’re interested in? Send us details about yourself, along with a message to let us know…
1- A project / app you worked on from start to finish
2- What’s your favourite programming language and why?
Accepting applications until May 7 at 5pm to email@example.com. Only those who are returning to school in September will be considered.
We thank all applicants for their interest, but advise that only those selected for interviews will be contacted. Please do not phone, email only.