Water Rangers Summer Student – Bilingual
Water Rangers is a non-profit organization aiming to make water science easy to understand. We deepen our impact by providing tools and training so that anyone can understand, test, and protect waterways.
We are looking for a passionate bilingual student to help us out for 10 weeks this summer.
- Visiting shorelines for excursions with youth and teaching about water quality
- Helping with presentations and teaching users how to use our online platform
- Data-entry and quality assurance testing
- Assembling testkits and other admin tasks
- Helping with social media, video training & blogging
- Helping plan events during the summer
You will receive training and hands-on experience in the field and the office. We are looking for someone who is self motivated and is good at prioritising their time, since you will be required to work independently, and we encourage you to come up with some of your own tasks. You will be going on excursions to conduct water quality tests with various local groups. You will also help us conduct user testing for our online platform and testkits, learning from the local groups, who will help us improve. Your role will be to support the core team as we grow over the summer, especially in the Ottawa and Pembroke area. Since we’re a small team, you’ll get lots of experience with doing many different things!
We are looking for someone who:
- Is interested in water quality testing and citizen science education
- Is studying at college or university in any subject, so long as you have a passion for water!
- Excellent communicator
- Is a fast learner, and is a self starter that will look for where they can help out the rest of the team
- Outgoing and willing to learn lots of new things quickly
- Bilingual is a must, and French must be fluent
- Willing to work some weekends and evenings depending on the activities that week
- Willing to travel (if you have your own vehicle, you will be compensated at $0.42/km, but having your own vehicle is not required)
- Experience with admin platforms and knowledge working with databases are great but not required
- Experience with social media, blogging and photography are huge assets
Position: 10-12 weeks (Mid May – End August)
Hours: 32 hours a week
Compensation: $15 per hour
Conditions: You must be a current student, intending to return to school in September, a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or legally able to work in Canada, and between 15 and 30 years old.
Sound like something you’re interested in? Send us details about yourself, along with a message to let us know…
1- What’s your favourite body of water
2-How you think citizen science can make a difference
Accepting applications until Friday February 23, 2018 at 5pm to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only those who are returning to school in September will be considered.
We thank all applicants for their interest, but advise that only those selected for interviews will be contacted. Please do not phone, email only.