Many people, especially inland, don’t realize that they’re connected to the ocean…
Join us in celebrating Ocean Week Canada this June 3 – 11, 2023! Water Rangers is an official partner of Ocean Week Canada- an annual event where we celebrate the ocean from coast to coast to coast (and, in our case, especially inland in our freshwater streams). We’ll be posting events here leading up to Ocean Week, so check back often for updates and new opportunities.
This year, we need your help to make the biggest splash!
You can contribute by participating in events, or even organizing your own.
1. Ocean-themed parkrun!
We’re encouraging runners across the country to join parkrun on Saturday June 3rd at 8:45am and… dress as an ocean creature! This celebration of our oceans is a great way to some fresh air, exercise and have fun while bringing awareness to our ocean (and all of our connections to it). At parkrun, you run, jog or walk 5km along a set course in your local park. It’s a quick sign up to get your bar code to get your time (you only have to sign up once, but remember to bring your barcode with you!). For those who prefer, you can walk the route and some parkrun locations allow dogs and strollers (please check with local event). With 43 parkruns across the country, there’s a great chance that there’s a parkrun near you!
We’re working with the parkrun organizers to determine which ones will be officially encouraging this dress-up event! Don’t want to run, jog or walk? Why not volunteer? Volunteering at parkrun is a hugely positive experience, and is a form of participation that is inclusive, respected, and accessible to everyone.
Participating parkrun locations (from east to west)
- June 10th: Victoria Truro parkrun (Truro, Nova Scotia)
- June 3rd: Saint-Paulin parkrun (Saint-Paulin, near Trois-Rivieres, Quebec)
- June 10th: Frédéric Back parkrun (Montréal, Quebec)
- June 3rd: Moussette parkrun (Gatineau, Quebec)
- June 3rd: Kanata parkrun (Ottawa, Ontario)
- June 3rd: Victoria Park Kitchener parkrun (Kitchener, Ontario)
- June 3rd: Mundy parkrun (Coquitlam, BC)
- June 10th: Ambleside parkrun (Vancouver, BC)
As locations are on board, we’ll add them here! You can view all parkrun locations here. If you’re a parkrun participant already and want us to reach out to your local organizer, please email email@example.com with your location name!
(If you’re a parkrun organizer, we’re happy to make it as easy as possible for you by posting the listing and promoting the event as well as preparing some social media images. Please reach out!)
2. Invite friends and family water monitoring!
Did you know that 83% of Water Rangers volunteers teach others how to test water quality in their local community after participating in water testing?
Your impact comes not just from collecting data, but also from the action you encourage in others.
This Ocean Week, organize a mini event and invite new people to test the water with you.
Here are some water monitoring events you might want to join (or take inspiration for your own!):
- Ottawa, Ontario: Water monitoring at Brewer Park, Ottawa on June 4, 2023 at 10am
- Montreal, Quebec: Water monitoring at the Lachine Canal, Montreal on June 10, 2023 at 1pm
- Toronto, Ontario: Water monitoring on the Humber, Toronto on June 7, 2023 from 11am – 1pm
- Regina, Saskatchewan: Ocean Week Map and water testing at the Saskatchewan Science Center on June 4, from 11am
- Regina, Saskatchewan: Ocean Week Map and water testing at the Saskatchewan Science Center on June 10, from 11am
- Vancouver, BC: Interactive beach walk and water quality testing with Ocean Wise on June 5 at 1pm PT online
Even if you only invite a few people, we encourage you to register an event here on the Ocean Week Canada website. If you’d prefer us to help you post it, you can email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll put it up for you!
3. Support other ocean events
The group of organizations we’re part of are all working hard to organize activities across the country. Make it a priority to attend these incredible events throughout the week. Let’s get celebrating!
Here are a few events we’re helping run:
- Ottawa: Ottawa Market Ocean Celebration (in collaboration with Ottawa Riverkeeper) June 3rd from 2pm-6pm
- Ottawa: EnviroFair June 7 from 10am – 2pm
- Ottawa: Canoe Scavenger Hunt June 10 – Brewer Park 9:30am-12:30pm
- Download your Scavenger Hunt List .pdf here
- Across Canada: Live beach walk and water quality testing with Ocean Wise at 1pm (EST). Online free registration required here.
4. Share your Ocean Week events
Do you know of an Ocean Week event that we can share and promote? Do you have an idea for an ocean celebration? Let us know by contacting email@example.com